Saturday, October 13, 2012

Dwandh – The Conflict

Some place amidst lush green trees, by the side of a calm lake where a gentle breeze blew and silence was broken only by occasional tweets of little birds, was sitting a man… still like a statue as if trying to absorb as much serenity as he could. He took an advice and slowed down to smell the roses which brought him to this paradise. He wanted to let the nature sink in… fill every pore of his body bathe his soul with the tranquility. Unfortunately, the situation in his beautiful mind couldn’t be more contrast than the surroundings he was sitting in. He was tormented, as if desperately searching for ever eluding answers; crying out silently to the Universe in a hope of getting some response.
Let us take a peek into his world –
What is going on?? Why is it happening to me? Did I take the right path? What am I supposed to do?? Of course everything is going fine… There is nothing to complain… I have a great job, great family and great friends; what else one could ask for…
Ah and yet you have doubts… you are impatient… you are looking for answers to some inexpressible questions… you are doubtful about the future and questioning your past decisions.
Yes but that is not it; most important question of all is; am I on the right path?? What was I supposed to do with this life?? What is my purpose?? Am I heading towards right direction?? Who will tell me that and don’t say ‘GOD’. I don’t understand that concept completely or more accurately I don’t want HIM to intervene now, if He at all exists… I must figure this out on my own… I would rather fight and get an answer rather than surrender to whims of uncertainty and fate.
Ha ha ha… isn’t this amusing… here sits a man talking to himself… questioning and answering his own doubts about the purpose and refuting any higher help. Adamant, arrogant and ignorant: all at once. How can you be sure that this voice of ‘Self’ you are talking to is not the ‘voice of GOD’? The guiding force, the mentor thou seek so desperately.
Ok let us make one thing very clear… I know who exactly you are. You are the smart mouth who doesn’t know when to shut up, who is as incomplete and ignorant as I am. You are the one who adds to the chaos and confusion by proposing an alternative path while I am trying to make a decision. You are nothing but my alter ego whose knowledge and understanding is as limited as my own. A man plays innumerable roles in his life and his mind is so beautifully designed that it adapts to new roles and situations almost instantaneously. So you are one such entity or facet of human personality who develops with an individual as his experiences grow; so your knowledge could not be more than that of an individual but yes there is one quality which gives you an upper hand. You are more like an observer or analyst who can look at the current situations and past experiences objectively. Evaluate them and draw unbiased conclusions while I am free to curse the heavens and fate when I fail at something… Your clarity of thought and ability to draw unbiased conclusions makes you the ‘Wise’ one while I stay free to willow in pain and angst when some of my dearest dream shatter, like an innocent child who hates his mother for not giving him the candy. So cut the crap of playing ‘voice of GOD’ and stay focused.
 Ok; as long as I am the wiser one I will play along… :-) . So what is troubling you today?? You are in such a beautiful surrounding instead of enjoying that why are you tormenting yourself with silly questions?
Well it is not all my fault… These kind of serene surroundings just make you realize how chaotic ones daily life is. And the cycle of thought process kicks in leading to more philosophical questions like “Why is there so much of chaos? What is my role in this grand plan? What is my life’s purpose?”… Care to answer a couple of them?
Hmm… answer to this question is much simpler than one could imagine but that is not what everyone wants to listen. We humans are obsessed with ‘complexity’ but at times complex solutions are no solutions at all rather they complicate the original problem. At this point one would expect answers like “creation, leading, contributing to society etc.” but no, this is not the real purpose. The real purpose is much more fundamental than this.
“The real purpose of one’s life is – attaining Singularity”
Bringing the ‘dvandh’ – the conflict to an end by virtue of unity is true purpose of one’s life. As you mentioned earlier human mind adapts and evokes multiple personalities in a response to a situation; more often than not these facets are in conflict with one another. All these facets are parts of a whole but interfere with each other’s role and lead to never ending chaos. Bhagwat Geeta states “The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it” on similar lines Robin Sharma quoted “mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master”. The day when all these facets merge into one seamless ‘Whole’ Singularity will be attained and this ceaseless ‘dwandh’ will also come to an end.
 … …
 With this there was a visible change in his demeanor, his face radiated with a peaceful smile and eyes sparkled with determination. It seemed he found the answer he sought. For him one of the many 'dwandhs' ended and now he seemed determined to end them all…

No comments: